NEED A BOOK THE KENNEDY LIBRARY DOESN’T HAVE?
It could be a text book, that mystery novel you’ve been dying to get your hands on, even a comic book or DVD you’ve been wanting to watch; in a click of a button it could be on its way to you!
WHAT IS LINK+?
Link Plus is a resource you can easily use to find almost any book you need and receive it in 3-7 days. It’s a website that orders books students at Cal Poly request and receive them from other libraries all over California (and a few libraries in Nevada).
HOW CAN YOU DO THIS?
Let’s say you want the book “Good to Great” by Jim Collins, but the Cal Poly Library doesn’t own it.
Here is a step by step process in how you can acquire it:
Start by signing into the MY CALPOLY portal…
STEP 1: Go to the “Library Services” Tab and under quick links, click “Link+”
STEP 2: Type in the title or author you are looking for. Be specific as possible
STEP 3: Locate the book you want, then click “reserve”.
STEP 4: Select what school you want it shipped to (Cal Poly San Luis Obispo)
STEP 5: Have your Polycard out and ready to type you name/bar code in.
(your bar code is located under your ID picture.)
- After this you should receive your book/video in 3-7 days. The time depends on where it’s coming from and what you requested.
- You will receive an email from the Circulation Desk notifying you that your book is in, and you can go pick it up at the front desk of the library.
Having worked with Link+ books for the past 8 months now, I can appreciate all the hard work that goes into getting “patrons” (students) their respective request.
*Here are some ways to make the library staff’s life easier:
- Leave the band on. If you receive a book/media piece that you ordered, it will come with a sticker or a piece of paper attached to it. That tells the staff where to send the book BACK to. It may be a hindrance while reading the book, but it ensures that the book gets back to the original owner.
- Renew instead of Remiss. If you know you are going to need your book longer than the due date allots, don’t be afraid to renew your book through the library services tab. It’s a win-win: you don’t have to pay a fine, and we don’t have to charge you!
- Take care of the book. I believe this one is self explanatory.
If you have any further questions about link plus, check out the Interlibrary Services website, or just post a comment and you will be reached.